Tossing and turning in bed, staring at the ceiling or wall; sound familiar? Many people, mostly adults, have trouble falling asleep at night. What’s the cause? A possible explanation could be a sleep disorder.
But, sometimes it can be linked to our lifestyle habits! We’ve got some easy tips to fix your sleeping problems and start falling asleep fast, starting tonight!
Causes of trouble falling asleep at night
- Inconsistent sleep schedule
- Light exposure before bed, e.g. gadget
- Caffeine and alcohol consumption
- Eating a heavy or spicy meal before bed
- Exercising too late
- Stress or hormonal changes
- An old, uncomfortable mattress
Tips to fall asleep fast at night
Practice good sleep hygiene
Sleep hygiene is a term that includes rituals, behaviors, habits, and rules that are followed by someone to be able to sleep. The most important elements of sleep hygiene are:
- Bedroom temperature must not be too hot or too cold
- The darker your bedroom, the better your sleep will be
- Learn to relax before going to bed
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol consumption at night
- Wake up at the same time every morning, even on weekends
- Turn off all screens at least an hour before bed
- Using the bedroom only for sleeping
Learn more about sleep hygiene here.
Live a healthy lifestyle
Much researches have shown that there’s a deep connection between how well you sleep and all the lifestyle choices you make during the day.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet
- Find a relaxing ritual, such as meditation, deep breathing, or writing a journal
- Increase your physical activity in the morning or day
Consult with your doctor
Call the doctor if you:
- Have symptoms of insomnia and it lasts longer than a month or if it interferes with your daytime activities
- Are waking up many times during the night gasping for air or having physical pain
- Notice changes in your mood, such as feeling depressed
Mimpi can help you!
Research has found that swapping an uncomfortable old bed for a new one could give you an extra 42 minutes of sleep a night. Even a high-quality mattress break down over time with the layers will provide you less and less support. The bad news is that it may be the main reason for your insomnia.
If you’re in the market for a new mattress, Mimpi’s mattresses are a perfect choice for you! We provide spinal alignment support, pressure relief, and cool feeling – three key elements for better sleep.
Learn more about Mimpi’s mattresses here.