Through research by several scientists, there are several popular hypotheses as to why humans need time to rest and sleep every day at night. Some of these hypotheses include:
- Sleep gives the brain an opportunity to rearrange data, help find solutions to problems, process information that has just been learned and organize and archive memory.
- Sleep is one of the important activities to do because sleep lowers a person’s metabolic rate and energy consumption.
- The cardiovascular system also gets rest during sleep. Researchers have found that people with high or normal blood pressure experience a 20-30% decrease in blood pressure and a 10-20% decrease in heart rate.
- During sleep, the body has the opportunity to repair the muscles, body tissues, and skin cells so they do not experience aging.
- Growth hormone released during deep sleep. Therefore, early children need adequate sleep so that their brain can function properly and experience good development.